Monday 10 October 2011

Enforced Idleness

Due to the large size of my right ankle, I have been forced to put my foot up this weekend, and this has made me re-evaluate my priorities. Since I left work in July I have been busy.  I spent the summer holidays with the kids, we went away in out caravan twice, we walked a lot, played games and had fun.  Then they went back to school and I set about rebuilding my friendships, and my non-working life.  I went out with friends, I had coffee, got free passes to the gym and went with my friends, I agreed to help at a toddler group, and I wanted to help at school.  Today, I  had a realisation.  I had always wanted to be 'a writer,' I studied creative writing as part of my degree, I always wrote stories, from when I was a child, and there was always a part of me that wanted this to be me - a writer. The second realisation was that this is a god-given opportunity for me to do just that, or at least find out if I have what it takes.

In order to do it, I need to spend more time writing, and less time being busy.  I have started this blog, started to lose weight, started to gain confidence and now is the time to keep making changes those positive changes in my life.  Obviously I can't just sit down and say 'Now I am a writer,'  but I started to do some research on what there is out there for people as freelance writers.  Tomorrow I am going to devote the morning to this, and the afternoon to helping in school.  I'll let you know how it goes.

On the weight loss / fitness front I managed to walk the dog today.  This is quite an achievement, but not what I had planned.  I wanted to do Zumba on the Wii!   I am inside my points for the week, and I have a healthy dinner planned. I have lost my first stone so feeling positive and not wanting to lose the momentum.  Basically all is good in that world.  Its starnge how quickly the new habits begin to supersede the old. 

I say basically, rather than completely, because I have one little admission to make.  I LOVE CREME EGGS.  The gooey yumminess, the sweet chocolatey bit, the sugary goodness all combine to make it a treat I can't turn down.  And they have just brought out a special hallowe'en version.  It is green instead of yellow but tastes exactly the same! I could not resist.  I counted it, and it was good. But they were on offer and its hard to resist a good bargain.  So the second one is sitting in the kitchen, calling to me. And I keep saying 'not yet...'

No comments:

Post a Comment